I'm Too Old For This


Wake Up!
Is it time to get up already?

A little voice whispered, "Mama. Mama. Let's wake up now. It's morning time."

I rolled over in my bed, opened one eye and saw my six-year-old son with a face of excitement, ready to get his day started. Lying next to him was his night owl three-year-old sister who was still sleep. I looked at him, and then glanced over at the clock.

5:55 a.m.? Are you kidding me?


Good goodness son! Go back to sleep!


But I can't tell him that. He's waited all week to see me. Yes, he lives with their dad.

The time my son and I do have together during his weekends with me is so precious. I treasure it.

But I would be lying through my teeth if I said that I wasn't so completely exhausted after I have both of them together for the weekend.


I waited until I was in my thirties to begin having children. Because I waited a little longer than some (although it seems lately that people are starting to postpone child bearing), I'm in my late 30's running after a three-year-old...and quite frankly, I'm tired sometimes.

I push myself all of the time because I know that I will never get this time back. I'll blink and they'll be in their 30's running after their own children (Lord willing). So I make the most of it. I plan A LOT. I actually started creating a weekend agenda for us so that I won't have to wing it. I eat my Juice Plus and try to stay hydrated so I don't get sick too often. I pray A LOT for strength and I have to admit - most, if not all, of that strength comes from God.

Being a parent isn't easy. Being a single mother isn't easy. I choose to do the very best that I can so that my children see a happy, peaceful, and relaxed mother.

I still can't believe he wakes up before 6. Meh.

When did your kids start sleeping in? When did you start gaining back a little of your free time?


No comments :

Post a Comment